St Lawrences Church Sigglesthorne
Sigglesthorne is a small village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Hornsea.
According to the 2011 UK census, Sigglesthorne parish had a population of 404. The village has around 175 houses.
There is also an ancient church dedicated to St. Lawrence that was designated a Grade II* listed building in 1966 and is now recorded in the National Heritage List for England, maintained by Historic England.
It is rumoured throughout the village that the settlement was given its name as a result of a Viking who lived there. This Viking leader was supposedly called Siggul, and since hawthorne is the predominant type of hedge around the village, it was given the name “Siggul’s thorne” → Sigglesthorne.
Matthew Roydhouse married Margaret Smith on the 4th August 1755 in Sigglesthorne, Yorkshire.
They appear to have had at least six daughters and one son Matthew. All children were baptised in Sigglesthorne.
Rachel was baptised on the 10th May 1756.
She married Luke Robinson at Atwick, 5 miles north aged 24 on the 8th May 1780.
Luke and Rachel had at least one son, Matthew.
In the census of 1841 there is an 85 year old Rachel Robinson in Riccall, Yorkshire, less than 50 miles from her birthplace.
Margaret was baptised on the 16th June 1758.
Katherine was baptised on the 13th March, 1760.
Ann was baptised the 21st March 1763.
Elizabeth was baptised 1st April 1766 and appears to have a twin sister Mary.
Matthew was possibly baptised prior to his parents marriage in 1751.
He married Rebecca Richardson in 1780 in Hornsea.
Elisabeth was baptised in October 1782 and the family lived on Bank and their son John was baptised in Leeds in 1785.
Mathew seems to have died in 1791 in Leeds, and Rebecca in 1796
His son John married Frances Parkinson in Beverly Yorkshire in 1814.
We can now assume these are the Roydhouse family who migrated to Burlington, New Jersey.